Sunday, October 27, 2013

Grade 2: Mr. Seahorse Collage - fall 2013




I connect art with literature all the time in my primary lessons and I  often add a nonfiction component as well. We started this lesson with Eric Carle's book, Mr. Seahorse. After reading, we used a decoupage technique for our prepared paper. The following week  we read Seahorse Fry by Ruth Owen, which was great because it reiterated all the facts we learned from Mr. Seahorse. Then I used my Elmo to show how to draw the seahorse bodies. After drawing one together, the students then made a baby seahorse, on their own. They cut them out. The third week students pasted down their seahorses, added eyes with sharpies and made seaweed in three different shades of green. The last steps were to sponge paint sand and print some bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment